Ohio State Navbar

Seventy five percent of shoppers are expected to buy electronics this season


Seventy five percent of shoppers are expected to buy electronics this season, but before you buy even a single gift, a doctor at Nationwide Children's Hospital is urging you to pay close attention. A growing number of kids are getting seriously injured after swallowing "button batteries," which are often found in electronics and in holiday objects such as musical cards, toys and even ornaments.

"The incidence of battery ingestion nationally is rising," said Kris Jatana, MD, a head and neck surgeon at Nationwide Children's Hospital. Dr. Jatana was part of a panel that appeared before the U.S. Consumer Safety Commission urging tougher standards in how these button batteries are used. "Once a child swallows one of these button batteries, the clock is ticking. Serious injury can occur within just two hours," he said.

Watch the story that was aired on ABC in New York City